Mild steel is nothing but a synonym of carbon steel. It is also termed as low carbon steel sometimes. Generally, it has 0.05 to 0.30% or less than carbon content and absence of other alloying elements. However, due to its magnificent properties, it is widely used in different types of industrial as well as domestic applications. Metal fabricators will cut the carbon steel sheet metal into the desired form for you. All you need to do is to specify your requirements.
Unlike high carbon steel that has the carbon content between 0.30 to 2.0%, mild steel has the carbon content that ranges from 0.05 to 0.30%.
Why is mild steel used highly in different applications? To answer this question, you need to understand why manufacturers produce alloys? Sometimes, for certain applications, the pure metal does not work as it does not have the required properties to fulfill the manufacturing specifications. To achieve those properties, some types of additives are included in the pure metal to get such specific properties.
Mild steel is such an alloy that is produced by adding carbon and other elements in the iron to get desired properties. It is widely used in different industrial and manufacturing applications due to various properties such as superior hardness, ductility and good tensile strength.
Here is a list of mild steel properties that you need to know:
It is harder and stronger:
By adding even a small amount of carbon in the iron, it changes its properties to a great extent. Carbon atoms get attached to the spaces between iron lattice and make the metal more powerful and harder. When the steel is harder, the ductility is less.
Mild steel is an excellent conductor of electricity and hence, it is preferred in many applications where electric conductivity is needed. Also, it is used in the welding processes.
Due to its superior malleability, it is often used in the manufacturing of construction materials and pipelines. Due to its ductility and hardness, it is used in domestic cookware too. It is not brittle which is an added advantage.
Mild steel has ferromagnetic properties and it makes it the most preferred option to use in different electrical devices. It can be magnetized easily.
Suitable as structural steel:
Also, it is suitable for structural steel and it is used in the making of body and parts of the vehicles.
- Due to its superlative properties, it is highly used in various industrial applications. Here is a list of some applications where mild steel is used.
- In bending, swaging and crimping processes
- For fixtures and spacers
- Bolts, ratchets, chain pins, tie rods, anchor pins, studs, dowels, die sets, tool holders, pinions, machine parts, worms, dogs, oil tool slips
- It is used in drilling, machining and punching processes
- It is used in making of metal food cans and metal chains
- It is also used in making of nuts & bolts, bicycle rims and engine parts
- It is used in windows, trusses, grills, doors
- In cookware items especially knives
- In visually aesthetic items for decoration items such as metal gates, metal fencing and other various items.
Mild steel is here to stay due to some great advantages it offers. For domestic applications, all you need to do is to hire a metal fabricator who offers best metal fabrication services at best price. MetalsCut4U.com is such a company that has set a benchmark by offering tailor-made metal fabrication services to your doorsteps.